TORTA DE LECHON ASADO
Yield: 24 portions
|Angela MiaŽ Chopped Tomatoes||27000 37861||12 cups|
|Valencia orange juice||6 cups|
|Garlic clove, crushed||24 ea|
|Yellow onion, small dice||4 cups|
|Dried oregano||1/4 cup|
|Kosher salt||1/4 cup|
|Fresh ground black pepper||4 tsp|
|Pork shoulder roast (12 lb = approx. 4 each)||12 lb|
|Hot and Tangy Tomato Jam:|
|Angela MiaŽ Chopped Tomatoes, drained||27000 37861||4 cups|
|RosaritaŽ Diced Green Chiles, drained||44300 10764||1/2 cup|
|Orange juice||2 cups|
|Brown sugar||2 cups|
|Romaine lettuce, shredded||6 cups|
|Green cabbage, shredded||2 cups|
|Bolillo roll, split||24 ea|
|Queso quesadilla (or Monterey Jack), sliced||24 slices|
- Make PORK SHOULDER: In saucepot, combine chopped tomatoes, Valencia orange juice, garlic, onion, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes; allow marinade to cool to room temperature. Arrange pork in a hotel pan and cover with marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Baste pork with excess marinade and place in the oven. After 5 minutes, reduce heat to 225°F and roast for approximately 5-6 hours, basting occasionally until thermometer inserted in pork reads 195°F. Allow pork to cool slightly, and shred.
- Make HOT AND TANGY TOMATO JAM: In a small saucepot, combine chopped tomatoes, green chiles, orange juice and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and reduce, stirring often, until mixture is thick and syrupy.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- To Build One Sandwich: Combine lettuce and cabbage, and mix well.
- Toast bolillo roll lightly in oven. Spread 2 tablespoons of tomato jam on bottom of the roll. Top with approximately 3/4 cup of shredded pork, 1 slice of cheese and 1/3 cup of lettuce mixture.